An Introduction

An Introduction
The Simplest Aphrodisiac

Flavours of the Month

Flavours of the Month
Rocks Urban Grill & Bar

Overseas Trips

Overseas Trips
The Reason to Travel

The A List

The A List
Featuring the Best

Sole Pomodoro

12 December 2010


It's true, wood-fired pizzas are really starting to make their presence felt here in Singapore. I don't think anyone is complaining of course, save for the main pizza chains who are now given a huge run for their money. I'm glad to announce that one of the new kids on the block - Sole Pomodoro - happens to be the pizzeria offshoot of the original Cugini at Club Street, which I must say already does quite a fantastic seafood pizza with an electric oven mind you.

I can't claim to be a pizza expert and I won't bore you with pizza jargon either (not that I know many anyway), but what opinions I can try to share with you are from my experiences with pizzas in Italy, particularly in its birthplace in Naples.

Provinciale
Tomato Sauce, mozzarella, olives, onions and toasted chicken


Having had the seafood pizza previously at Cugini, I ventured for its poultry counterpart in the Provinciale pizza. The pizzas here at Sole Pomodoro are fairly close to the real deal in Italy in terms of the puffy and crisp sides and smoky flavour, but the dough in general seems to be lacking quite a bit. It was too moist near the centre (an inevitable outcome given its thinness), making each slice appear pretty limp and sloppy when you hold it from the top. But all that aside, still very good pizza, though I'm sure a seafood-based one would satisfy more.

Salcciaccia e Peperoni
Mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, sweet peppers and sausage


Random thought: Do you know the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (named after the four Italian Renaissance artists) loved peperoni pizzas (anchovies too I think)? Not sure what they would have thought about this Salcciaccia e Peperoni pizza, but we had the same little grouse that it could do with just a tiny bit more dough in the middle.

Sole Pomodoro
Mozzarella, sundried fried tomatoes, cream, potatoes, sausage and onions


With a pizza taking the name of the restaurant, you would think that the Sole Pomodoro has to be the house special. I don't think this impressed much though, but I would leave it to the person who ate this to make a comment later (Glenn, that's your cue).

All-in-all, we may not have been blown away, but I must reiterate that the pizzas here are good and amongst some of the best that I've tasted in Singapore. So quit waiting, pay this restaurant a visit soon and let me know what YOU think! :)

Service
Service was very good up till the point when I wanted to pay and mentioned this 20% discount tie-up that IeatIshootIpost has with Sole Pomodoro (just mention the blog or flash your mobile with the website on it; promo till Feb 2011). It didn't mean a big deal to me, but she was visibly irritated and told me I should have told her before I ordered. Wonder what difference that would have made - smaller pizza, or less ingredients perhaps? I've often asked if there was any credit card promotions at the point of payment and wait staffs have always been happy to oblige. Probably a slightly different system here.

Price
$24.90 for the Provinciale
$22.90 for the Salcciaccia e Peperoni
$24.90 for the Sole Pomodoro

* Prices subject to the usual 7% GST and 10% service charge.

Place
12/21 Mackenzie Road #01-01
Opposite the old (but now quite funky haha!) Rex Cinema

Pictures taken with the Apple iPhone 4.

3 Foodie Comments:

Unknown said...

did you ask her if indeed you get a smaller pizza if you are paying with the 20percent discount tie up?

December 12, 2010 at 9:08 PM
*Harris said...

didn't ask, didn't want to incur her wrath! haha!

December 12, 2010 at 9:47 PM
Glenn Lee said...

The namesake pizza, well, was in one word, satisfactory.
Personally, I would have done away with potatoes, and have an additional serving of the Italian sausage! But the sun dried tomatoes, added that bit of flavour contrast that makes each slice a joy to eat.
One thing that I was more than happy to have little of too, were the onions!

On a sidenote, 1 pizza is too big for 1 person! I have no idea how you manage to comb through one all by yourself!

I'm really curious too, - if the pizzas would have turned out somewhat smaller or with less toppings if we had mentioned the "codeword" prior to ordering!

December 13, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Post a Comment

 

2009 ·*the simplest aphrodisiac by TNB | Official Singapore Food Blog.