An Introduction

An Introduction
The Simplest Aphrodisiac

Flavours of the Month

Flavours of the Month
Rocks Urban Grill & Bar

Overseas Trips

Overseas Trips
The Reason to Travel

The A List

The A List
Featuring the Best

Beijing, China: Made in China

22 December 2010


Made in China at the Beijing Grand Hyatt is a gem. Great food, great service, great atmosphere, what's there not to like about this place? Even as I'm typing now I can almost taste the roasted duck and fried rice in my mouth, it is that memorable really. Coming in a very strong second in the best of four of this mini Peking roast duck series, Made in China has delivered remarkably and would have won praise even from the Emperors centuries ago.


The interior of the restaurant is classy yet not pretentious, and some may even say that parts of it resemble Straits Kitchen at Singapore's Grand Hyatt Hotel, albeit a slightly more refined one. Service here is very prompt and helpful as well, so that's an extra plus point.


The restaurant was running on full house that evening, and since I was alone I gave up my table to a couple who didn't have a reservation (I myself had made an earlier reservation) and was seated at a counter instead. While waiting for my duck to arrive, I spent the time watching the junior chefs learn how to make dumplings. It was quite funny to see them fussing over the details and making faces each time one of the senior chefs came by and made comments.

Peking Roast Duck


Of course, the real show started when my Peking Roast Duck arrived. I'll spare you the details of all that present the duck - cut the duck part, but instead would rather have you feast your eyes on the smooth and immaculate slices of duck.


Made in China's Peking roast duck is quite special indeed. It's crisp and fatty where it matters, and the duck skin here is one of the rare few that literally melts in your mouth. Dip it in sugar for that sugar rush and its like having candy, only better and more addictive.


The meat was tender, but it's best not to leave it out for too long lest it gets dry. Otherwise, it was adequately moist and flavourful, and went very well with the pancakes and Hoisin soy sauce. I was initially doubtful about getting half a duck as I was concerned I would be getting the leftover half. Thankfully it was a new one that arrived, so the moisture and all were still intact.


I should just add one more picture of that heavenly row of exquisite duck skin for good measure. It melts in your mouth, it really does (man, I'm like smacking my lips now). And if you do make a gentle bite on it, you can almost feel the tiny but discernible burst of flavour in your mouth. Simply divine.

Special Fried Rice


It's been a while since I've had some rice in Beijing and I was in search of a good plate of fried rice. The "Special Fried Rice", special only because it's not on the menu and was a small request made by me, was a plain and simple fried rice with eggs, shrimps and some (real) crabmeat. I asked for something simple, they added in the goods. The verdict? One of the best fried rice I've ever had really. It has that alluring smoky flavour (more affectionately known as "wok hei") that is a mark of fantastic fried rice. Full marks.

Service
Excellent.

Price
312RMB for the Peking roast duck (half), fried rice and a teapot of Chinese tea.

Place
1 East Chang An Avenue,
Beijing Grand Hyatt Hotel,
(Next to Wangfujing Street)
Chongwen District, Beijing.

Pictures taken with the Canon EOS 500D.

3 Foodie Comments:

red fir said...

Oh man... I can almost taste your roasted duck in my mouth now... looks crazily delicious. Now I feel like some roast duck!

December 22, 2010 at 4:15 PM
Glenn Lee said...

Yum yum!

December 22, 2010 at 8:04 PM
*Harris said...

Ice and Glenn: It's not easy typing these Peking duck posts, not easy one bitttttttttttttttttttttt.... Hungryyy

December 22, 2010 at 11:34 PM

Post a Comment

 

2009 ·*the simplest aphrodisiac by TNB | Official Singapore Food Blog.