An Introduction

An Introduction
The Simplest Aphrodisiac

Flavours of the Month

Flavours of the Month
Rocks Urban Grill & Bar

Overseas Trips

Overseas Trips
The Reason to Travel

The A List

The A List
Featuring the Best

Canelé Pâtisserie Chocolaterie II

08 March 2009


After a frustrating weekend last week, I badly needed my chocolate therapy to cool myself down and lift my spirits. We couldn't eat ice-cream because Daphne was nursing a sore throat, but she felt that cakes wouldn't be as bad and so we settled on the cosy little Canele along Scotts Road.


Many of the food bloggers who I know have covered this place already, and I'm sure those of you curious passers-by must have peeped in as well. This Canele cafe is tiny, I doubt you can even seat more than twenty-five people in the small indoor area. There's al-fresco seating too, but it's something most of us would rather miss on the typically humid evenings. Luckily for us, there was an empty table for two, and that was where we got our desserts.

Chocolat Classique: 8/10


"Traditional baked french chocolate cake with cream chantilly". On the whole, this was quite good, the cake was thick and rich without being too overwhelming, and the cream chantilly somehow managed to strike a good balance between the two. I have to admit that forkful after forkful of just the cake set me back a bit, but when I had it with the cream it was much easier to eat and enjoy it.

Strawberry Shortcake: 7.3/10


"Fresh strawberries layered with crème chantilly and Japanese shortcake laced with kirsch". I myself didn't exactly like this much, but Daphne thought it was fine. The good thing about the strawberry shortcake was that it wasn't too thick nor was it too soft, but it sure didn't excite us much. The strawberries were a tad too sour for Daphne's liking too.

Service
Excellent. The waiter was very polite and regularly filled our glasses with warm/iced water.

Price
$7.00 for a slice of chocolate classique
$6.50 for a slice of strawberry shortcake

If you're dining in, you have to pay for 10% service charge as well. That probably explains the good service.

Place
Shaw Centre #01-01A/B, Scotts Road.

0 Foodie Comments:

Post a Comment

 

2009 ·*the simplest aphrodisiac by TNB | Official Singapore Food Blog.