An Introduction

An Introduction
The Simplest Aphrodisiac

Flavours of the Month

Flavours of the Month
Rocks Urban Grill & Bar

Overseas Trips

Overseas Trips
The Reason to Travel

The A List

The A List
Featuring the Best

The Roti Prata House II

08 December 2008


A food blogger once mentioned that the roti prata here is as crispy as a frisbee, and I couldn't agree more. The Roti Prata House is popular throughout the night from dinner to late suppers, where even at 3am you can find (mostly) youths and (especially) clubbers still tucking in to their now nationwide famous crispy pratas. I remember a time when such crispy pratas were such a hit that almost every neighbourhood stall started imitating it, then the trend died down and almost everyone reverted back to the softer pratas, the usual ones we have today. Lucky for those who still have a penchant for crispy frisbee pratas, they have Roti Prata House at Thomson.

Plain Roti Prata: 8.3/10


As me and my friend agreed, when you're tasting pratas, you've always got to go back to basics to see if it's really good. These pictures are taken with my Nokia N85, I'm still trying to see how I can make the pictures better, but so far I've been very impressed already. Harris is a happy man, a happy foodie blogger heh.

On taste, this is how I always remember it to be, crispy yet still with the flour taste characteristic of roti pratas. Good stuff.

Egg Prata: 8/10


Very yummy too, it's crispy but you can still taste the smooth eggs inside.

Mushroom and Egg Prata: 4/10


Whoops! This one received a flat thumbs-down from my buddies. They disliked the taste of the mushrooms, which I reckon would be straight out of a cheap can of button mushrooms. At $4 (!!), it's certainly not worth the money at all.

Mutton Soup: 7.7/10


You must be wondering, for something that looks like an oil bomb, why am I giving it a 7.7? Thing is, as much as I like the crispy pratas here, I don't really like the curry that the serve with it, because it's too thick and not that spicy. Furthermore, I think I have a preference for Indian fish curries to accompany my pratas. As you can see where I am going here, I think the "kambing" (mutton) soup went very well with the roti pratas! It's not like many of the other mutton soups that I've tried because the spices used and the way it's cooked makes it a bit closer to a curry. So, just nice to go with my pratas. They're pretty generous with the mutton bits too.

Service
The place is always packed, so I kind of accept that they can't exactly be giving every single customer their fullest attention. Don't lose the little slip of paper they give to you after you order, that's your bill.

Price
Around $0.80 for the plain prata
Around $1.40 for the egg prata
$4 for the mushroom and egg prata
$3.50 for the mutton soup

Place
246K & M, Upper Thomson Road

Additional Comment
Open 24 Hours.

1 Foodie Comments:

AJ@Kampong said...

Yay! Looks yummy. I would want to try this at home. Thank you for sharing your Roti Prata food experience. ;)

September 2, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Post a Comment

 

2009 ·*the simplest aphrodisiac by TNB | Official Singapore Food Blog.